sobota 25. února 2012

Okay, so today I am going to write about the themes of the play. The first and most important motive is love, more precisely young doomed love. The play focuses on the intense passion that arises when Romeo and Juliet meet for the first time. Love is something that overpowers all other values and loyalties. Both of the main characters have to go against their own families and people who they love the most in order for their love to sprung. An example is when Romeo abandones Mercution and Benvolio after the feast and runs to Juliet´s garden to talk to her. A different example from the play are Juliet´s lines to Romeo “Deny thy father and refuse thy name...or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I’ll no longer be a Capulet”. They also go against the main ruler and Romeo eventhough he is banished from Verona comes back when he hears that Juliet is dead. The way love is shown in this play in not as something beautiful but rather something brutal and powerful that captures the main characters and puts them against their beliefs as well as themselves. Juliet beautifully describes her love for Romeo in the lines “But my true love is grown to such excess...I cannot sum up some of half my wealth”.

1 komentář:

  1. The old adage that "love conquers all" comes to mind. I like the support you give from the play but, more, I like that you see the violence driving the love, which, in a way, makes it as beautiful as it is...

    OdpovědětVymazat